Sunday, May 24, 2009

05.17.09: The Globe @ Cardiff

This woozy Sunday brings us to the Globe. It’s a cool theater type venue, complete with visceral lighting. Tonight I run the oil light from the merch booth. TM Martin finds old clips of CCTV to be played during their set; maybe he was also lookin for footage of Jared . Even though it was Spaghetti-o’s with meat sauce, we had a pretty decent venue-provided lunch.

Gringo Star plays, and sound great as usual. I met some kids who drove 3 hours to see them. About 30 minutes after their set, Mika Miko is nowhere to be found. I head backstage and open the dressing room door; all the bands pack into the broom closet party. Unfortunately I break up the congregation, as Miko Miko is well behind schedule. They flood out of room, knocking over half-opened Red Bulls along the way. At this point, we all reek of whiskey.

During the Black Lips set, Jared stage dives while kids attempt to prop him up. My epileptic light show causes two Mika Miko seizures. After the show, we all order doner kebabs, which seems like a good idea. Two hours later, our stomachs disagree. All the bands go their separate directions, and we head off into the foggy darkness.

Then we discuss my on goings for the next two days. Cannes Film Festival is flying everyone out to play a secret show, crew included. Well, except for me. And all I wanted to do is get shot down by Sophia Coppola. Regardless, we crash at the Travelodge for the next few hours. Me and Cole stay up all night with beers and depressants, talking of Atlanta’s glory days.


-Kang

No comments: