Monday, September 7, 2009

05.25.09: UK Day Off

Seriously, we need to do some laundry. Cole’s been goin commando (sans underwear), and Jared’s shirts are covered in a thick grimy layer. Arwen and Natsumi meet us at the City Hotel. Everyone is waiting in the car for me, and I can’t seem to get back into my room to put away my groceries/beer. No matter how many times I visit reception for a key, they can't get it right. We're damn late, they're damn pissed, and I finally get the right damn key. Twenty minutes later, I get downstairs and hop into a car full of volatile people. I cower my head in the leather car interior.

We get to Diesel Radio, where Cole and Jared have a DJ session. After climbing to the grueling 6th floor, we find the Montreal outfit Dutchess Says live in front of a studio audience. In a sporadic moment of noisy fury, the singer hands me the mic and I do my best banshee wail. We get fitted for jeans, which are two sizes too big and 5 sizes too long. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail.

Cole and Jared takeover the airwaves, playing the best unknown Brazilian punk and Gospel hits around. Meanwhile, the front lounge/showroom is an entire wreck. Bits of wine bottles and crisps mash into confetti pulp on the floor. Wine puddles are everywhere. Natsumi and Taka start smoking cigarettes inside, and everyone follows suit. We order massive quantities of rectangular pizza. I can’t even describe what they resemble. Still, not half bad.

Later, someone orders sambuca at some random bar, which pretty much knocks us all out. Me and Nat share a moment with a random stranger on our way back to the hotel. Inside, many components of our gang congregate in our room. Smoke rolls out the 3rd story window as we watch BBC, nodding our head in repulsive disgust. The refrigerator Strongbow flows like water, and spliffs sound like a great idea.

Spliffs: it's what's for dinner.

No comments: